Sunday, 21 June 2026

What Happened?

Hello Blog World!

Just over nine years ago, I published my first blogpost. I started my blog when I moved to Cambodia and it was a great way to process and share some highlights of my life there. Then sometime in 2019, I got hit with sickness, dizziness, and anxiety. For some reason, trying to write a blog in that time proved to be too much. As the years passed, I mostly forgot about it. However, all this time there was this nagging feeling that I had left it hanging in an incomplete state. I can't handle incomplete projects. I still know multiple books I started reading, but didn't finish for various reasons. It bugs me. Anyway, back to my post, I feel like I need to at least write one more to close that chapter properly. Or if I enjoy it too much, I'll keep posting. 

To continue where I left off in my last post...

As I began dealing with the aforementioned symptoms, I resigned from being on staff at Iris Cambodia. It had been such a rich and meaningful experience to serve with them in the community. I still remember so many of the kiddos and wonder how they're doing and pray for them. I continued to volunteer as I was able, along with trying to figure out what was happening with my health. Found out years later that it was BPPV. It is very easily treatable with a few simple head maneuvers, which I now do myself regularly. So thankful to God that I'm not consistently dizzy and tipsy. 

In March of 2019, I was driving home on my moto from a day of ministry. I was lost in thought about random things, then clear as day, I felt God speak to my heart. We needed to get to Canada for Colin to become a Canadian citizen because of something that was gonna happen in the future (Covid?), so that we'd both be from the same country.


I shared it with Colin and we both agreed that he would need to hear from God as well. This would be a big change in our lives and the direction it was headed. We had previously discussed the possibility of moving to Canada in the future. It had never been something I really wanted. I loved our lives and adventures abroad. Moving to Canada felt like settling down and that was something I had avoided all my life. It felt boring. When we were dating, Colin said something about being ready to settle down. I just about broke it off with him in that moment, but decided to ask him what exactly he meant by it. He said he was ready to be married and have kids. He didn't necessarily mean he wanted to buy a house, start a farm, put our roots down, etc. I'm glad I asked the follow up question and stayed with him. Lol. 

Fast forward to Dec 28, 2019:


We were in Canada for Christmas. Three days before heading back to Cambodia, we were sitting in the annex of our friends' house, having tea and snacks with them. We both enjoyed it and felt rejuvenated. As soon as we got in the car to leave, Colin said he felt God had spoken to him about moving to Canada and that this specific annex would be our home for a while. And Colin didn't stop talking about it. By the time we got to Cambodia, we were pretty sure we'd be back in Canada soon. 

We prayed about it and spoke to our mentors. We believed it was God's direction for us. We booked flights for March and kept a countdown on our fridge. Then COVID...along with the rest of the world, we weren't sure what was gonna happen. After further direction from God and mentors, we changed our flight dates. Instead of having 37 days to pack up, say our good byes, and close down our lives in Cambodia, suddenly, we only had 7. It was crazy and intense, but we did it. God did so many amazing things in that time to make it possible. To name a few:

  1. To change the dates for our economy flights, it would've cost us $3000/person. To upgrade to premium economy for the same dates, cost $700 for both of us. After a crazy week of packing up our lives, we settled into our spacious airplane seats, were greeted with cool towels, and were served our meal with an actual table cloth and china dishes. 
  2. It took approximately three hours from when we posted our car online till the cash was in Colin's  hand. We got enough money for it to buy a nicer one here.
  3. Everything sold really fast and basically just walked out of our apartment.
  4. Before we left, Colin told me he really wanted to get a TV when we got to Canada, but wasn't sure it was a wise use of money. He won a perfect-size TV at a work function...in Cambodia. Perfect gift. Wrong country. I think God has a sense of humour. Colin sold the TV to his boss and used the money to buy one here. It all worked out and felt like such a sweet gift from God. 
  5. During our trip over, Colin kept being warned that he may not be able to enter Canada. We pressed on. He got through Canadian customs quicker than his Canadian wife. If we had kept our original flight dates, he would've been refused entry.
  6. As Covid continued to shut down the world, we were "stuck" in a house with none other than the amazing Dwight and Lorna, who had generously agreed to let us rent their annex. I cannot think of a better arrangement for reentry and transition. They were always encouraging and blessing us (and still are).
  7. God answered our prayers and we became pregnant within our first month here.
We bought a car. Colin applied for his PR as the first step toward becoming Canadian. He started working for our church. We had a baby. I had surgery. We bought a house. Colin became the ministry director at Youth for Christ. We're raising an energetic and smart little guy. Ian has almost finished Kindergarten. I work as a sub-EA at his school. Our favorite family activities are camping and e-biking. I think it's safe to say, we have settled down. I still don't love the idea, but I trust that even if we're settled, God can still speak to us, teach us, love us, and move us, according to his will.




To end this post, here's a final picture from this past week that feels like a perfect wrap up. Colin is now an official Canadian citizen! God is faithful and kind. 



Thank you for being in our lives!
-Brenda Chen






No comments:

Post a Comment